Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Lady and the Trash-Can Cat

Wow, what a drama this has been. By now I am sure that most people have seen the video of the woman in England captured on video placing a cat in a lidded trash can. First, the cat's OK. Second, the woman has been identified. But what happened in between the posting on YouTube and the identification of the woman is what catches my attention here.

What she did, with forethought (check out the video) and clear intent is appalling, to say the least. The cat might have died. Most certainly it suffered for the 15 hours it was trapped. Unless we discover there is an underlying psychological cause, I would advocate for the fullest prosecution possible. No doubt about it, she's a "bad guy."

But it's what the "good guys" did that is almost more worrisome. A Facebook page was begun (I understand it's been removed) and there actually were entries advocating the woman's death. She's under protection, understandably. As irate as I was when I first caught the video, homicide was the furthest thing from mind.

It is a sad commentary to see those who are clearly on the right side of an issue become as guilty as the party on the wrong side of the issue, display the same, if not higher, level of disregard for life, advocate a level of violence that exceeds the original offense.

I'm an animal lover from the get-go. The woman should be prosecuted, no doubt. But be killed? The Creator of us all would weep, I am certain.

No comments:

Post a Comment